Are dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible?
Some people think so. The book of Job, which is considered to be the oldest written book of the Bible, contains a description of a beast that certainly comes close to how we would expect a dinosaur to be depicted. This is found in the entire 41st chapter, and here is a partial list of this creature:
- Cannot be tamed or subdued (:1-9)
- Mouth ringed with “fearsome” teeth (:14)
- Skin is made up of “…rows of shields tightly sealed together” (:15)
- Emits a “snorting” sound (:18)
- Chest is “hard as rock” (:24)
- Terrifies man (:25)
- Cannot be pierced with sword, spear, dart or javelin (:26)
- Incredible strength (:27)
Bible commentators attempt to match this description to beasts known and seen today on the earth, (such as a crocodile) but the description just doesn’t fully match up. This has caused some commentators to assume that certain portions of this description are purposely exaggerated in order to emphasize Leviathan’s fearsome qualities. The other possibility is that the Lord is describing a beast that existed at the time but is now extinct.
My personal opinion is that the description of Leviathan in Job 41 does not perfectly match any known animal or beast existing today.